Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Space at a Price

Recently, I decided to travel back to London, courtesy of Google Earth. I've been scouring the Internet for properties for sale in the expensive areas like Mayfair, Chelsea, Kensington and Belgravia. Of course, most of London is expensive to live in but I have a particular interest in the streets where properties have rather more zeros than the average house elsewhere in the country. Delving into the deep waters of the rich, I've been fascinated to see how the other half live. This world of city living in exclusive terraced houses with six and seven floors, including swimming pools built into the lower basement, cinemas, catering kitchens and more bedrooms than anyone really needs, is a world away from the little corner of Northumberland in which I live; rolling hills, patchwork countryside, sheep, cattle and a coastline, not to mention the wild open spaces in which a person can breathe. Some of these extravagant London properties fetch millions and millions of pounds and it makes you wonder how we are now a country endowed with foodbanks, benefits and poverty.

Courtesy of Google Earth (Mayfair)
Take one terraced house in particular in one of London's most exclusive addresses: it has a ridiculous amount of bedrooms and bathrooms to match, and a garage to house four limos; it has drawing rooms and dining rooms and a kitchen Gordon Ramsey would probably kill his grandmother for, and it's for sale at a cost of £90 million. That is one hell of a lot of money. So much in fact, that can any sane person really justify spending that amount on a house? It's obviously big enough to be a hotel and could be for all I know, though the pictures and descriptions don't depict as such. So what's so special about this London street with no grass and no coastline? Where do people go to breathe?


Where I Live - and breathe

Rush Hour


4 comments:

  1. Tell me about it! I've always thought it unfair that those of us working and living in London have to pay ridiculously high prices for housing and transport which is no way covered by the flimsy bit of London Weighting we get paid extra for it. I've always thought standards of living are much better outside London. If you are poor it doesn't matter where you live, life will be s***t anyway, although it does not excuse that some people are in that situation in the first place. But if you try to work and live in London, you are penalised by the high prices. I'd love your rush-hour. That is worth millions alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are better off than the Londerners!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have SO much to say about the reasons why your country is like it is...and mine is headed there as well...but I'll let it go. I get angry just thinking about it!
    (((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had the money to pay one of those houses, I would settle for a house in the country. These houses are most likely more used to impress other people then to live in. Great for business and government deals. They need some people to help keep the house up. Which means jobs for those who do not have money.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.