Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Give Me Reality Any Day

As someone interested in farming, I love to watch the reality TV shows that are supposed to educate us all on the trials and tribulations of working and living on a farm. Lambwatch and Springwatch will be on before we know it, and once more we'll all get the opportunity to see new life brought into the world. It's quite encouraging how so many farms have spanking new gates and sheep pens, new and shiny pieces of machinery to make the farmer's job so much easier. It's wonderful to see how the whole family takes part, all year round, shoveling poo, mending fences and working round the clock to ensure the new pick-up that's desperately needed is delivered on time. I delight at the wonders of a well-trained, fit and healthy sheep dog, adhering to every command, beautifully groomed as it lives in its meticulously purpose-built kennel. I love to see the farmer's wife donning her many hats; cook, child bearer, mum, wife, farmer, lambing assistant, taxi, happy-go-lucky and not a care in the world because her husband comes in every night, shags her senseless and they wake up content, before she pops off to the kitchen to rustle up a full English.

And back to the real world....


Gates falling off; crap everywhere.

A Real Farm!

Confused Sheep Dogs

Okay, so being a farmer is pretty amazing...

24 comments:

  1. This did make me laugh... so it must prove that reality is actually a lot more fun (and a lot less shagging). Probably like that for all of us non-farmers too!! Love your dogs, wish I had a farm so I could have them by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me laugh too. I've never seen a clean and tidy farm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL :D. I bet if you knew the cameras were coming to your farm for a while you'd also put on The Woodentops routine until they left - at which point you'd collapse exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe! Thanks for the giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing us a REAL farm! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely photos CJ - and it's good to see the reality for all those who romanticise country life (myself included!) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for lambing live - I bawl watching that!

    To me the charm of a farm is all the random stuff lying around. And the smell. But then, I'm odd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sheep dogs leave the hens alone! Well trained.
    That is a serious puddle!

    When we went to Sidmouth with my daughter recently, the fields were full of baby lambs with their mothers right from Bristol boundaries, throughout the countryside to Devon.
    I wonder if its because of the mild winter or if its because they deliver earlier down this way???? Wondered what you think of that?
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics, CJ. The dogs do look a little puzzled...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the pics. I just wrote about lambs yesterday as a matter of fact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So are you saying you do or don't get shagged senseless every night?! I'm guessing you do but the full English just isn't happening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The farms around here are definitely in the reality camp. How can you keep a working farm spotlessly clean?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwwwww!!!!
    I Love the baby lamb!! And you are just Beautiful!!!
    (((HUG)))

    PS- I hate reality shows...I got hooked on one over here called Hoarders...finally had to stop "cold-turkey"!Hahaaa...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your confused sheepdogs! I have two shetland sheepdogs. The word sheepdog, however, is used loosely. I think that they have only been successful at wrangling a black lab and a guinea pig. Or maybe the guinea pig was chasing them......Not sure how they would actually function on the farm! Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that last photo! You look so happy!
    i've no illusions about farming being an easy way of life...I'd hate it!
    But I do love following the new life here, in a realistic way.
    Thanks for your nice comment at my blog, appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I love this! The real farm, where you can't actually open gates because the tractor marks in the mud are so deep you need your wellies and get soaked! The hope for frost so you can make it across the yard without sinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your comments; this post was inspired by one of the many farming programs I watch!!

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  18. That made me laugh. Especially the one with those two dogs sitting there looking so puzzled, like "what in the heck do we do next?!" Their faces exhibit true befuddlement, very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aye - I too loved this and yes, you look like a pig in ****!
    Dxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. reality is often not what we see is it? It is what they want us to see. Love the darling lamb kissing you - bless it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for following :-) Your blog makes me homesick - in a good way - for the North. Too flat down here :( (Am from scotland originally). I've really enjoyed reading your last few posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes but I suspect a farmer's wife that is shagged senseless every night would be in no fit state to write a blog. Which would be a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.